- [noun] a numerical scale used to compare variables with one another or with some reference number
- [noun] a number or ratio (a value on a scale of measurement) derived from a series of observed facts; can reveal relative changes as a function of time
Synonyms: number, indicant, indicator
- [noun] a mathematical notation indicating the number of times a quantity is multiplied by itself
Synonyms: exponent, power
- [noun] an alphabetical listing of names and topics along with page numbers where they are discussed
- [noun] the finger next to the thumb
Synonyms: finger, forefinger
- [verb] list in an index
- [verb] provide with an index; "index the book"
- [verb] adjust through indexation; "The government indexes wages and prices"