- [noun] a concept or idea not associated with any specific instance; "he loved her only in the abstract
- [noun] a sketchy summary of the main points of an argument or theory
Synonyms: outline, synopsis, precis
- [verb] consider a concept without thinking of a specific example; consider abstractly or theoretically
- [verb] make off with belongings of others
Synonyms: pilfer, cabbage, purloin, pinch, snarf, swipe, hook, sneak, filch, nobble, lift
- [verb] consider apart from a particular case or instance; "Let's abstract away from this particular example"
- [verb] give an abstract (of)
- [adjective] existing only in the mind; separated from embodiment; "abstract words like `truth' and `justice'"
- [adjective] not representing or imitating external reality or the objects of nature; "a large abstract painting"
Synonyms: ionist, nonfigurative, nonobjective
- [adjective] based on specialized theory; "a theoretical analysis"
- [adjective] dealing with a subject in the abstract without practical purpose or intention; "abstract reasoning"; "abstract science"