- [noun] the conscious subjective aspect of feeling or emotion
- [verb] have an effect upon; "Will the new rules affect me?"
Synonyms: impact, bear upon, bear on, touch on, touch
- [verb] act physically on; have an effect upon
- [verb] connect closely and often incriminatingly; "This new ruling affects your business"
Synonyms: involve, regard
- [verb] make believe with the intent to deceive; "He feigned that he was ill"; "He shammed a headache"
Synonyms: feign, sham, pretend, dissemble
- [verb] have an emotional or cognitive impact upon; "This child impressed me as unusually mature"; "This behavior struck me as odd"
Synonyms: impress, move, strike
- strike a blow
- tell on
tinge, color, colour, distort
queer, expose, scupper, endanger, peril
trouble, put out, inconvenience, disoblige, discommode, incommode, bother
influence, act upon, work
sedate, calm, tranquilize, tranquillize, tranquillise
stimulate, arouse, brace, energize, energise, perk up
tense, strain, tense up
relax, unstrain, unlax, loosen up, unwind, make relaxed
intoxicate, soak, inebriate
- play possum
- take a dive
bullshit, bull, fake
impress, ingrain, instill
- strike dumb
hit home, strike home, strike a chord, strike a note
sweep away, sweep off
disturb, upset, trouble