- [noun] a duty that you are assigned to perform (especially in the armed forces); "hazardous duty"
- [noun] the instrument by which a claim or right or interest or property is transferred from one person to another
- [noun] the act of distributing something to designated places or persons; "the first task is the assignment of an address to each datum"
- [noun] (law) a transfer of property by deed of conveyance
- [noun] an undertaking that you have been assigned to do (as by an instructor)
- [noun] the act of putting a person into a non-elective position; "the appointment had to be approved by the whole committee"
Synonyms: appointment, designation, naming
guard duty, guard, sentry duty, sentry go
fatigue duty, fatigue
mission, charge, commission
sea-duty, service abroad, shipboard duty
- shore duty
- land grant
school assignment, schoolwork
written assignment, writing assignment