- [noun] a hollow device made of metal that makes a ringing sound when struck
- [noun] a push button at an outer door that gives a ringing or buzzing signal when pushed
- [noun] the sound of a bell being struck; "saved by the bell"; "she heard the distant toll of church bells"
- [noun] (nautical) each of the eight half-hour units of nautical time signaled by strokes of a ship's bell; eight bells signals 4:00, 8:00, or 12:00 o'clock, either a.m. or p.m.
- [noun] the shape of a bell
Synonyms: shape, campana
- [noun] a phonetician and father of Alexander Graham Bell (1819-1905)
Synonyms: Bell, Melville Bell, Alexander Melville Bell
- [noun] English painter; sister of Virginia Woolf; prominent member of the Bloomsbury Group (1879-1961)
Synonyms: Bell, Vanessa Bell, Vanessa Stephen
- [noun] United States inventor (born in Scotland) of the telephone (1847-1922)
Synonyms: Bell, Alexander Bell, Alexander Graham Bell
- [noun] a percussion instrument consisting of vertical metal tubes of different lengths that are struck with a hammer
Synonyms: chime, gong
- [noun] the flared opening of a tubular device
- [verb] attach a bell to; "bell cows"