- [noun] a high steep bank (usually formed by river erosion)
- [noun] pretense that your position is stronger than it really is; "his bluff succeeded in getting him accepted"
- [noun] the act of bluffing in poker; deception by a false show of confidence in the strength of your cards
Synonyms: four flush
- [verb] deceive an opponent by a bold bet on an inferior hand with the result that the opponent withdraws a winning hand
- [verb] frighten someone by pretending to be stronger than one really is
- [adjective] very steep; having a prominent and almost vertical front; "a bluff headland"; "where the bold chalk cliffs of England rise"; "a sheer descent of rock"
Synonyms: bold, sheer
- [adjective] bluntly direct and outspoken but good-natured; "a bluff but pleasant manner"; "a bluff and rugged natural leader"