- [noun] a restraint used to slow or stop a vehicle
- [noun] any of various ferns of the genus Pteris having pinnately compound leaves and including several popular houseplants
- [noun] large coarse fern often several feet high; essentially weed ferns; cosmopolitan
Synonyms: bracken, pasture Pteridium aquilinum
- [noun] an area thickly overgrown usually with one kind of plant
- [verb] stop travelling by applying a brake; "We had to brake suddenly when a chicken crossed the road"
- [verb] cause to stop by applying the brakes; "brake the car before you go into a curve"