- [verb] break off (a piece from a whole); "Her tooth chipped"
Synonyms: chip, chip off, come off, break off
- [verb] move away or escape suddenly; "The horses broke from the stable"; "Three inmates broke jail"; "Nobody can break out
Synonyms: break, break out
- [verb] interrupt a continued activity; "She had broken with the traditional patterns"
- [verb] withdraw from an organization or communion; "After the break up of the Soviet Union, many republics broke away"
Synonyms: secede, splinter
- [verb] flee; take to one's heels; cut and run; "If you see this man, run!"; "The burglars escaped before the police showed up"
Synonyms: run, scarper, turn tail, lam, run away, hightail it, bunk, head for the hills, take to the woods, escape, fly the coop