- [noun] a special lineage; "a breed of Americans"
- [noun] a special variety of domesticated animals within a species; "he experimented on a particular breed of white rats"; "he created a new strain of sheep"
Synonyms: strain, stock
- [noun] half-caste offspring of parents of different races (especially of white and Indian parents)
- [noun] a lineage or race of people
- [verb] call forth
Synonyms: engender, spawn
- [verb] copulate with a female, used especially of horses; "The horse covers the mare"
- [verb] of plants or animals; "She breeds dogs"
- [verb] have young (animals); "pandas rarely breed in captivity"