- [noun] a demanding or stimulating situation; "they reacted irrationally to the challenge of Russian power"
- [noun] a call to engage in a contest or fight
- [noun] questioning a statement and demanding an explanation; "his challenge of the assumption that Japan is still our enemy"
- [noun] a formal objection to the selection of a particular person as a juror
- [noun] a demand by a sentry for a password or identification
- [verb] take exception to; "She challenged his claims"
Synonyms: dispute, gainsay
- [verb] issue a challenge to; "Fischer challenged Spassky to a match"
- [verb] ask for identification; "The illegal immigrant was challenged by the border guard"
- [verb] raise a formal objection in a court of law
Synonyms: take exception
question, oppugn, call into question
- call one's bluff
- call out
remit, remand, send back
action, sue, litigate, process
calling into question, demand for explanation
- demand for identification