- [noun] a binding agreement between two or more persons that is enforceable by law
- [noun] (contract bridge) the highest bid becomes the contract setting the number of tricks that the bidder must make
- [noun] a variety of bridge in which the bidder receives points toward game only for the number of tricks he bid
- [verb] enter into a contractual arrangement
- [verb] engage by written agreement; "They signed two new pitchers for the next season"
Synonyms: sign, sign on, sign up
- [verb] squeeze or press together; "she compressed her lips"; "the spasm contracted the muscle"
Synonyms: compress, constrict, squeeze, compact, press
- [verb] become smaller or draw together; "The fabric shrank"; "The balloon shrank"
- [verb] be stricken by an illness, fall victim to an illness; "He got AIDS"; "She came down with pneumonia"; "She took a chill"
Synonyms: take, get
- [verb] make smaller; "The heat contracted the woollen garment"
- [verb] compress or concentrate; "Congress condensed the three-year plan into a six-month plan"
Synonyms: condense, concentrate
- [verb] make or become more narrow or restricted; "The selection was narrowed"; "The road narrowed"
- [verb] reduce in scope while retaining essential elements; "The manuscript must be shortened"
Synonyms: abridge, foreshorten, abbreviate, shorten, cut, reduce
stipulate, qualify, condition, specify
rent, hire, charter, lease
- contract out
bear down, overbear
choke, gag, fret
- taper off
bowdlerize, bowdlerise, expurgate, castrate, shorten
digest, condense, concentrate
adhesion contract, contract of adhesion
- aleatory contract
- bilateral contract
- conditional contract
- cost-plus contract
- gambling contract
marriage contract, marriage settlement
- output contract
policy, insurance policy, insurance
purchase contract, purchase agreement
- quasi contract
- requirements contract
sealed instrument, contract under seal, special contract
- service contract
- severable contract
articles of agreement, shipping articles
labor contract, labor agreement, collective agreement
employment contract, employment agreement
- distribution agreement
- licensing agreement
merger agreement, acquisition agreement
sale in gross, contract of hazard