- [noun] the opposition or dissimilarity of things that are compared; "in contrast to", "by contrast"
- [noun] the act of distinguishing by comparing differences
- [noun] a conceptual separation or demarcation; "there is a narrow line between sanity and insanity"
Synonyms: line, dividing line, demarcation
- [noun] the perceptual effect of the juxtaposition of very different colors
- [noun] the range of optical density and tone on a photographic negative or print (or the extent to which adjacent areas on a television screen differ in brightness)
- [verb] put in opposition to show or emphasize differences; "The middle school teacher contrasted her best student's work with that of her weakest student"
- [verb] to show differences when compared; be different; "the students contrast considerably in their artistic abilities"