- [adjective] marked by a tendency to find and call attention to errors and flaws; "a critical attitude"
- [adjective] at or of a point at which a property or phenomenon suffers an abrupt change especially having enough mass to sustain a chain reaction; "a critical temperature of water is 100 degrees C
- [adjective] characterized by careful evaluation and judgment; "a critical reading"; "a critical dissertation"; "a critical analysis of Melville's writings"
- [adjective] urgently needed; absolutely necessary; "a critical element of the plan"; "critical medical supplies"; "vital for a healthy society"; "of vital interest"
- [adjective] forming or having the nature of a turning point or crisis; "a critical point in the campaign"; "the critical test"
- [adjective] being in or verging on a state of crisis or emergency; "a critical shortage of food"; "a critical illness"; "an illness at the critical stage"
- [adjective] of or involving or characteristic of critics or criticism; "critical acclaim"