- [noun] the act of refusing to comply (as with a request); "it resulted in a complete denial of his privileges"
- [noun] the act of asserting that something alleged is not true
- [noun] (psychiatry) a defense mechanism that denies painful thoughts
- [noun] renunciation of your own interests in favor of the interests of others
Synonyms: abnegation, self-abnegation, self-self-renunciation
- [noun] a defendant's answer or plea denying the truth of the charges against him; "he gave evidence for the defense"
Synonyms: defense, defence, demurrer