- [noun] (Judeo-Christian and Islamic religions) chief spirit of evil and adversary of God; tempter of mankind; master of Hell
Synonyms: Satan, Old Nick, Devil, the Devil, Lucifer, Beelzebub, the Tempter, Prince of Darkness
- [noun] one of the evil spirits of traditional Jewish and Christian belief
Synonyms: fiend, demon, daemon, daimon
- [noun] a word used in exclamations of confusion; "what the devil"; "the deuce with it"; "the dickens you say"
Synonyms: deuce, dickens
- [noun] a rowdy or mischievous person (usually a young man); "he chased the young hellions out of his yard"
Synonyms: hellion, heller
- [noun] a cruel wicked and inhuman person
Synonyms: monster, fiend, demon, ogre
- [verb] cause annoyance in; disturb, especially by minor irritations; "Mosquitoes buzzing in my ear really bothers me"; "It irritates me that she never closes the door after she leaves"
Synonyms: annoy, rag, get to, bother, get at, irritate, rile, nark, nettle, gravel, vex, chafe
- [verb] coat or stuff with a spicy paste; "devilled eggs"
get, get under one's skin
eat into, fret, rankle, grate
harass, hassle, harry, chivy, chivvy, chevy, chevvy, beset, plague, molest, provoke