- [noun] a one-piece garment for a woman; has skirt and bodice
- [noun] clothing of a distinctive style or for a particular occasion; "formal attire"; "battle dress"
Synonyms: attire, garb
- [noun] clothing in general; "she was refined in her choice of apparel"; "he always bought his clothes at the same store"; "fastidious about his dress"
Synonyms: apparel, wearing apparel, clothes
- [verb] put on clothes; "we had to dress quickly"; "dress the patient"; "Can the child dress by herself?"
Synonyms: get ed
- [verb] provide with clothes or put clothes on; "Parents must feed and dress their child"
Synonyms: clothe, enclothe, garb, raiment, tog, garment, habilitate, fit out, apparel
- [verb] put a finish on; "dress the surface smooth"
- [verb] dress in a certain manner; "She dresses in the latest Paris fashion"; "he dressed up in a suit and tie"
- [verb] dress or groom with elaborate care; "She likes to dress when going to the opera"
Synonyms: preen, primp, plume
- [verb] kill and prepare for market or consumption; "dress a turkey"
- [verb] arrange in ranks; "dress troops"
Synonyms: line up
- [verb] decorate (food), as with parsley or other ornamental foods
Synonyms: trim, garnish
- [verb] provide with decoration; "dress the windows"
- [verb] put a dressing on; "dress the salads"
- [verb] cultivate, tend, and cut back the growth of; "dress the plants in the garden"
Synonyms: snip, clip, crop, trim, lop, prune, cut back
- [verb] cut down rough-hewn (lumber) to standard thickness and width
- [verb] convert into leather; "dress the tanned skins"
- [verb] apply a bandage or medication to; "dress the victim's wounds"
- [verb] give a neat appearance to; "groom the dogs"; "dress the horses"
Synonyms: groom, curry
- [verb] arrange attractively; "dress my hair for the wedding"
Synonyms: arrange, set, do, coif, coiffe, coiffure
- [adjective] suitable for formal occasions; "formal wear"; "a full-dress uniform"; "dress shoes"
- [adjective] (of an occasion) requiring formal clothes; "a dress dinner"; "a full-dress ceremony"
dress up, fig out, fig up, deck up, gussy up, fancy up, trick up, deck out, trick out, prink, attire, get up, rig out, tog up, tog out, overdress
dress, dress up
dress down, underdress
- bundle up
wear, put on, get into, don, assume
prim, prim up, prim out
cover, wrap up
costume, dress up
chemise, sack, shift
cocktail dress, sheath
jumper, pinafore, pinny
- morning dress
Mother Hubbard, muumuu
- ao dai
ecclesiastical attire, ecclesiastical robe
formalwear, eveningwear, evening dress, evening clothes
hairpiece, false hair, postiche
- morning dress
outfit, getup, rig, turnout
sportswear, athletic wear, activewear