- [noun] a violent release of energy caused by a chemical or nuclear reaction
Synonyms: detonation, blowup
- [noun] the act of exploding or bursting something; "the explosion of the firecrackers awoke the children"; "the burst of an atom bomb creates enormous radiation aloft"
- [noun] a sudden great increase; "the population explosion"; "the information explosion"
- [noun] the noise caused by an explosion; "the explosion was heard a mile away"
- [noun] the terminal forced release of pressure built up during the occlusive phase of a stop consonant
- [noun] a sudden outburst; "an explosion of laughter"; "an explosion of rage"
- [noun] a golf shot from a bunker that typically moves sand as well as the golf ball