- [noun] a set of related records (either written or electronic) kept together
- [noun] a line of persons or things ranged one behind the other
Synonyms: single Indian
- [noun] office furniture consisting of a container for keeping papers in order
Synonyms: cabinet, filing cabinet
- [noun] a steel hand tool with small sharp teeth on some or all of its surfaces; used for smoothing wood or metal
- [verb] record in a public office or in a court of law; "file for divorce"; "file a complaint"
- [verb] smooth with a file; "file one's fingernails"
- [verb] proceed in line; "The students filed into the classroom"
- [verb] file a formal charge against; "The suspect was charged with murdering his wife"
Synonyms: charge, lodge
- [verb] place in a container for keeping records; "File these bills, please"