- [noun] light informal conversation for social occasions
Synonyms: chitchat, small talk, gab, gabfest, tittle-tattle, chin-wag, chin-wagging, causerie
- [noun] a report (often malicious) about the behavior of other people; "the divorce caused much gossip"
Synonyms: comment, scuttlebutt
- [noun] a person given to gossiping and divulging personal information about others
Synonyms: er, monger, rumormonger, rumourmonger, newsmonger
- [verb] wag one's tongue; speak about others and reveal secrets or intimacies; "She won't dish the dirt"
Synonyms: dish the dirt
- [verb] talk socially without exchanging too much information; "the men were sitting in the cafe and shooting the breeze"
Synonyms: chew the fat, shoot the breeze, chat, confabulate, confab, chitchat, chatter, chaffer, natter, jaw, claver, visit
rumor, rumour, bruit
shmooze, shmoose, schmooze, schmoose, jawbone
rumor, rumour, hearsay
grapevine, pipeline, word of mouth
scandal, dirt, malicious gossip
talk, talk of the town
tattletale, tattler, taleteller, talebearer, telltale, blabbermouth