- [noun] a channel along the eaves or on the roof; collects and carries away rainwater
- [noun] misfortune resulting in lost effort or money; "his career was in the gutter"; "all that work went down the sewer"; "pensions are in the toilet"
Synonyms: sewer, toilet
- [noun] a worker who guts things (fish or buildings or cars etc.)
- [noun] a tool for gutting fish
- [verb] burn unsteadily, feebly, or low; flicker; "The cooling lava continued to gutter toward lower ground"
- [verb] flow in small streams; "Tears guttered down her face"
- [verb] wear or cut gutters into; "The heavy rain guttered the soil"
- [verb] provide with gutters; "gutter the buildings"