- [noun] the upper part of the human body or the front part of the body in animals; contains the face and brains; "he stuck his head out the window"
- [noun] a single domestic animal; "200 head of cattle"
- [noun] that which is responsible for one's thoughts and feelings; the seat of the faculty of reason; "his mind wandered"; "I couldn't get his words out of my head"
Synonyms: mind, brain, psyche, nous
- [noun] a person who is in charge; "the head of the whole operation"
Synonyms: chief, top dog
- [noun] the front of a military formation or procession; "the head of the column advanced boldly"; "they were at the head of the attack"
- [noun] the pressure exerted by a fluid; "a head of steam"
- [noun] the top of something; "the head of the stairs"; "the head of the page"; "the head of the list"
- [noun] the source of water from which a stream arises; "they tracked him back toward the head of the stream"
- [noun] (grammar) the word in a grammatical constituent that plays the same grammatical role as the whole constituent
- [noun] the tip of an abscess (where the pus accumulates)
- [noun] the length or height based on the size of a human or animal head; "he is two heads taller than his little sister"; "his horse won by a head"
- [noun] a dense clusters of flowers or foliage; "a head of cauliflower"; "a head of lettuce"
- [noun] the educator who has executive authority for a school; "she sent unruly pupils to see the principal"
Synonyms: principal, school principal, teacher
- [noun] an individual person; "tickets are $5 per head"
- [noun] a user of (usually soft) drugs; "the office was full of secret heads"
- [noun] a rounded compact mass; "the head of a comet"
- [noun] the foam or froth that accumulates at the top when you pour an effervescent liquid into a container; "the beer had a large head of foam"
- [noun] the part in the front or nearest the viewer; "he was in the forefront"; "he was at the head of the column"
- [noun] a difficult juncture; "a pretty pass"; "matters came to a head yesterday"
Synonyms: pass, straits
- [noun] forward movement; "the ship made little headway against the gale"
- [noun] a V-shaped mark at one end of an arrow pointer; "the point of the arrow was due north"
- [noun] the subject matter at issue; "the question of disease merits serious discussion"; "under the head of minor Roman poets"
- [noun] a line of text serving to indicate what the passage below it is about; "the heading seemed to have little to do with the text"
Synonyms: ing, er
- [noun] the rounded end of a bone that bits into a rounded cavity in another bone to form a joint; "the head of the humerus"
- [noun] that part of a skeletal muscle that is away from the bone that it moves
- [noun] (computer science) a tiny electromagnetic coil and metal pole used to write and read magnetic patterns on a disk
- [noun] (usually plural) an obverse side of a coin that bears the representation of a person's head; "call heads or tails!"
- [noun] the striking part of a tool; "the head of the hammer"
- [noun] (nautical) a toilet on board a boat or ship
- [noun] a projection out from one end; "the head of the nail", "a pinhead is the head of a pin"
- [noun] a membrane that is stretched taut over a drum
- [noun] oral-genital stimulation; "they say he gives good head"
Synonyms: oral sex
- [verb] to go or travel towards; "where is she heading"; "We were headed for the mountains"
- [verb] be in charge of; "Who is heading this project?"
- [verb] travel in front of; go in advance of others; "The procession was headed by John"
- [verb] be the first or leading member of (a group) and excel; "This student heads the class"
- [verb] direct the course; determine the direction of travelling
Synonyms: steer, maneuver, manoeuver, manoeuvre, direct, point, guide, channelize, channelise
- [verb] take its rise; "These rivers head from a mountain range in the Himalayas"
- [verb] be in the front of or on top of; "The list was headed by the name of the president"
- [verb] form a head or come or grow to a head; "The wheat headed early this year"
- [verb] remove the head of; "head the fish"
take hold, take charge, take control
- draw away
- pull over
- stand out
channel, canalize, canalise
- human head
- tabula rasa
unconscious mind, unconscious
subconscious mind, subconscious
administrator, decision maker
- department head
general, superior general
- general manager
- grand dragon
- head of household
headmaster, schoolmaster, master
- acid head
- hash head
- pill head
question of fact, matter of fact
question of law, matter of law
headline, newspaper headline
running head, running headline
title, statute title, rubric
golf-club head, club head, club-head, clubhead