- [noun] the act of hopping; jumping upward or forward (especially on one foot)
- [noun] twining perennials having cordate leaves and flowers arranged in conelike spikes; the dried flowers of this plant are used in brewing to add the characteristic bitter taste to beer
- [noun] an informal dance where popular music is played
- [verb] jump lightly
Synonyms: skip, -skip
- [verb] move quickly from one place to another
- [verb] informal: travel by means of an aircraft, bus, etc.; "She hopped a train to Chicago"; "He hopped rides all over the country"
- [verb] make a quick trip especially by air; "Hop the Pacific Ocean"
- [verb] jump across; "He hopped the bush"
- [verb] make a jump forward or upward