- [noun] the act of coercing someone into government service
- [verb] have an emotional or cognitive impact upon; "This child impressed me as unusually mature"; "This behavior struck me as odd"
Synonyms: affect, move, strike
- [verb] impress positively; "The young chess player impressed her audience"
- [verb] produce or try to produce a vivid impression of; "Mother tried to ingrain respect for our elders in us"
Synonyms: ingrain, instill
- [verb] mark or stamp with or as if with pressure; "To make a batik, you impress a design with wax"
- [verb] reproduce by printing
- [verb] take (someone) against his will for compulsory service, especially on board a ship; "The men were shanghaied after being drugged"
- [verb] dye (fabric) before it is spun
impress, ingrain, instill
- strike dumb
hit home, strike home, strike a chord, strike a note
sweep away, sweep off
disturb, upset, trouble
emboss, boss, stamp
overprint, print over