- [noun] one of lesser rank or station or quality
- [noun] a character or symbol set or printed or written beneath or slightly below and to the side of another character
- [adjective] of or characteristic of low rank or importance
- [adjective] of low or inferior quality
- [adjective] inferior in rank or status; "the junior faculty"; "a lowly corporal"; "petty officialdom"; "a subordinate functionary"
Synonyms: junior-grade, lower, lower-ranking, lowly, petty, secondary, subaltern, subordinate
- [adjective] written or printed below and to one side of another character
- [adjective] having an orbit between the sun and the Earth's orbit; "Mercury and Venus are inferior planets"
- [adjective] lower than a given reference point; "inferior alveolar artery"
- [adjective] falling short of some prescribed norm; "substandard housing"
Synonyms: deficient, substandard