- [noun] a power to affect persons or events especially power based on prestige etc; "used her parents' influence to get the job"
- [noun] causing something without any direct or apparent effort
- [noun] a cognitive factor that tends to have an effect on what you do; "her wishes had a great influence on his thinking"
- [noun] the effect of one thing (or person) on another; "the influence of mechanical action"
- [noun] one having power to influence another; "she was the most important influence in my life"; "he was a bad influence on the children"
- [verb] have and exert influence or effect; "The artist's work influenced the young painter"; "She worked on her friends to support the political candidate"
Synonyms: act upon, work
- [verb] shape or influence; give direction to; "experience often determines ability"; "mold public opinion"
Synonyms: determine, shape, mold, regulate
- [verb] induce into action by using one's charm; "She charmed him into giving her all his money"
Synonyms: charm, tempt
manipulate, pull strings, pull wires
swing, swing over
blackmail, blackjack, pressure
carry, persuade, sway
- get at
- carry weight
magnetize, mesmerize, mesmerise, magnetise, bewitch, spellbind
dead hand, dead hand of the past, mortmain
impingement, encroachment, impact
hypnotism, mesmerism, suggestion
- morale builder