- [noun] a vessel (usually cylindrical) with a wide mouth and without handles
- [noun] the quantity contained in a jar; "he drank a jar of beer"
- [noun] a sudden impact; "the door closed with a jolt"
Synonyms: jolt, jounce
- [verb] be incompatible; be or come into conflict; "These colors clash"
Synonyms: clash, collide
- [verb] move or cause to move with a sudden jerky motion
- [verb] shock physically; "Georgia was shaken up in the Tech game"
Synonyms: shake up, bump around
- [verb] affect in a disagreeable way; "This play jarred the audience"
- [verb] place in a cylindrical vessel; "jar the jam"