- [noun] the act of terminating a life
Synonyms: ing, putting to death
- [noun] the destruction of an enemy plane or ship or tank or missile; "the pilot reported two kills during the mission"
- [verb] cause to die; put to death, usually intentionally or knowingly; "This man killed several people when he tried to rob a bank"; "The farmer killed a pig for the holidays"
- [verb] thwart the passage of; "kill a motion"; "he shot down the student's proposal"
Synonyms: shoot down, defeat, vote down, vote out
- [verb] cause the death of, without intention; "She was killed in the collision of three cars"
- [verb] end or extinguish by forceful means; "Stamp out poverty!"
Synonyms: stamp out
- [verb] be fatal; "cigarettes kill"; "drunken driving kills"
- [verb] be the source of great pain for; "These new shoes are killing me!"
- [verb] overwhelm with hilarity, pleasure, or admiration; "The comedian was so funny, he was killing me!"
- [verb] hit with so much force as to make a return impossible, in racket games; "She killed the ball"
- [verb] hit with great force; "He killed the ball"
- [verb] deprive of life; "AIDS has killed thousands in Africa"
- [verb] drink down entirely; "He downed three martinis before dinner"; "She killed a bottle of brandy that night"; "They popped a few beer after work"
Synonyms: toss off, pop, bolt down, belt down, pour down, down, drink down
- [verb] mark for deletion, rub off, or erase; "kill these lines in the President's speech"
Synonyms: obliterate, wipe out
- [verb] tire out completely; "The daily stress of her work is killing her"
- [verb] cause to cease operating; "kill the engine"
- [verb] destroy a vitally essential quality of or in; "Eating artichokes kills the taste of all other foods"
eliminate, annihilate, extinguish, eradicate, wipe out, decimate, carry off
massacre, slaughter, mow down
erase, wipe out
- commit suicide
- take off
put away, put to sleep
neutralize, neutralise, liquidate, waste, knock off, do in
exterminate, kill off
smother, asphyxiate, suffocate
strangle, strangulate, throttle
murder, slay, hit, dispatch, bump off, polish off, remove
execute, put to death
draw, quarter, draw and quarter
- strike down
deathblow, coup de grace
euthanasia, mercy killing
suicide, self-destruction, self-annihilation
sacrifice, ritual killing
genocide, race murder, racial extermination