- [noun] a brief description given for purposes of identification; "the label Modern is applied to many different kinds of architecture"
- [noun] trade name of a company that produces musical recordings; "the artists and repertoire department of a recording label is responsible for finding new talent"
- [noun] a radioactive isotope that is used in a compound in order to trace the mechanism of a chemical reaction
- [noun] an identifying or descriptive marker that is attached to an object
- [verb] assign a label to; designate with a label; "These students were labelled `learning disabled'"
- [verb] attach a tag or label to; "label these bottles"
Synonyms: tag, mark
- [verb] pronounce judgment on; "They labeled him unfit to work here"
Synonyms: pronounce, judge
- [verb] distinguish (as a compound or molecule) by introducing a labeled atom
- [verb] distinguish (an element or atom) by using a radioactive isotope or an isotope of unusual mass for tracing through chemical reactions
stigmatize, stigmatise, brand, denounce, mark
acquit, assoil, clear, discharge, exonerate, exculpate
gummed label, sticker, paster