- [noun] a speech that is open to the public; "he attended a lecture on telecommunications"
Synonyms: public talk
- [noun] a lengthy rebuke; "a good lecture was my father's idea of discipline"; "the teacher gave him a talking to"
Synonyms: speech, talking to
- [noun] teaching by giving a discourse on some subject (typically to a class)
- [verb] deliver a lecture or talk; "She will talk at Rutgers next week"; "Did you ever lecture at Harvard?"
- [verb] censure severely or angrily; "The mother scolded the child for entering a stranger's car"; "The deputy ragged the Prime Minister"; "The customer dressed down the waiter for bringing cold soup"
Synonyms: call on the carpet, rebuke, rag, trounce, reproof, reprimand, jaw, dress down, call down, scold, chide, berate, bawl out, remonstrate, chew out, chew up, have words, lambaste, lambast