- [noun] the act of losing; "everyone expected him to win so his loss was a shock"
- [noun] something that is lost; "the car was a total loss"; "loss of livestock left the rancher bankrupt"
- [noun] the amount by which the cost of a business exceeds its revenue; "the company operated at a loss last year"; "the company operated in the red last year"
Synonyms: red ink, red
- [noun] gradual decline in amount or activity; "weight loss"; "a serious loss of business"
- [noun] the disadvantage that results from losing something; "his loss of credibility led to his resignation"; "losing him is no great deprivation"
- [noun] military personnel lost by death or capture
Synonyms: personnel casualty
- [noun] the experience of losing a loved one; "he sympathized on the loss of their grandfather"
- [noun] euphemistic expressions for death; "thousands mourned his passing"
Synonyms: passing, departure, exit, expiration, going, release