- [noun] the cloak as a symbol of authority; "place the mantle of authority on younger shoulders"
- [noun] United States baseball player (1931-1997)
Synonyms: Mantle, Mickey Mantle, Mickey Charles Mantle
- [noun] the layer of the earth between the crust and the core
- [noun] anything that covers; "there was a blanket of snow"
- [noun] (zoology) a protective layer of epidermis in mollusks or brachiopods that secretes a substance forming the shell
- [noun] shelf that projects from wall above fireplace; "in England they call a mantel a chimneypiece"
Synonyms: mantel, mantelpiece, piece, chimneypiece
- [noun] hanging cloth used as a blind (especially for a window)
Synonyms: curtain, drape, drapery, pall
- [noun] a sleeveless garment like a cloak but shorter
- [verb] spread over a surface, like a mantle
- [verb] cover like a mantle; "The ivy mantles the building"