- [noun] horny plate covering and protecting part of the dorsal surface of the digits
- [noun] a thin pointed piece of metal that is hammered into materials as a fastener
- [noun] a former unit of length for cloth equal to 1/16 of a yard
- [verb] attach something somewhere by means of nails; "nail the board onto the wall"
- [verb] take into custody; "the police nabbed the suspected criminals"
Synonyms: collar, apprehend, arrest, pick up, nab, cop
- [verb] hit hard; "He smashed a 3-run homer"
Synonyms: smash, boom, blast
- [verb] succeed in obtaining a position; "He nailed down a spot at Harvard"
Synonyms: down, peg
- [verb] succeed at easily; "She sailed through her exams"; "You will pass with flying colors"; "She nailed her astrophysics course"
Synonyms: breeze through, ace, pass with flying colors, sweep through, sail through
- [verb] locate exactly; "can you pinpoint the position of the enemy?"; "The chemists could not nail the identity of the chromosome"
- [verb] complete a pass