- [verb] make politically neutral and thus inoffensive; "The treaty neutralized the small republic"
- [verb] make ineffective by counterbalancing the effect of; "Her optimism neutralizes his gloom"; "This action will negate the effect of my efforts"
Synonyms: neutralise, nullify, negate
- [verb] oppose and mitigate the effects of by contrary actions; "This will counteract the foolish actions of my colleagues"
Synonyms: counteract, countervail, counterbalance
- [verb] get rid of (someone who may be a threat) by killing; "The mafia liquidated the informer"; "the double agent was neutralized"
Synonyms: neutralise, liquidate, waste, knock off, do in
- [verb] make incapable of military action
- [verb] make chemically neutral; "She neutralized the solution"