- [noun] a short personal letter; "drop me a line when you get there"
Synonyms: short letter, line, billet
- [noun] a brief written record; "he made a note of the appointment"
- [noun] a characteristic emotional quality; "it ended on a sour note"; "there was a note of gaiety in her manner"; "he detected a note of sarcasm"
- [noun] a piece of paper money (especially one issued by a central bank); "he peeled off five one-thousand-zloty notes"
Synonyms: bill, government bank bill, banker's bill, bank bankFederal Reserve greenback
- [noun] a notation representing the pitch and duration of a musical sound; "the singer held the note too long"
Synonyms: musical tone
- [noun] a comment or instruction (usually added); "his notes were appended at the end of the article"; "he added a short notation to the address on the envelope"
Synonyms: annotation, notation
- [noun] high status importance owing to marked superiority; "a scholar of great eminence"
Synonyms: eminence, distinction, preeminence
- [noun] a tone of voice that shows what the speaker is feeling; "there was a note of uncertainty in his voice"
- [noun] a promise to pay a specified amount on demand or at a certain time; "I had to co-sign his note at the bank"
Synonyms: promissory of hand
- [verb] make mention of; "She observed that his presentation took up too much time"; "They noted that it was a fine day to go sailing"
Synonyms: observe, mention, remark
- [verb] notice or perceive; "She noted that someone was following her"; "mark my words"
Synonyms: notice, mark
- [verb] observe with care or pay close attention to; "Take note of this chemical reaction"
Synonyms: take observe
- [verb] make a written note of; "she noted everything the teacher said that morning"
Synonyms: take down
comment, notice, remark, point out
- take notice
memo, memorandum, memoranda
- silver certificate
hundred dollar bill, c-note
fifty dollar bill, fifty
twenty dollar bill, twenty
tenner, ten dollar bill
fiver, five-spot, five dollar bill
- two dollar bill
dollar, dollar bill, one dollar bill, buck, clam
subtonic, leading tone
pedal point, pedal
- middle C
passing note, passing tone
whole note, semibreve
half note, minim
quarter note, crotchet
eighth note, quaver
sixteenth note, semiquaver
thirty-second note, demisemiquaver
sixty-fourth note, hemidemisemiquaver
grace note, appoggiatura, acciaccatura
- blue note
- poste restante
citation, acknowledgment, credit, reference, mention, quotation
nota bene, NB, N.B.
- demand note
- note receivable
- note payable
- municipal note
- time note