- [noun] any person in the armed services who holds a position of authority or command; "an officer is responsible for the lives of his men"
- [noun] someone who is appointed or elected to an office and who holds a position of trust; "he is an officer of the court"; "the club elected its officers for the coming year"
- [noun] a member of a police force; "it was an accident, officer"
Synonyms: policeman, police
- [noun] a person authorized to serve in a position of authority on a vessel; "he is the officer in charge of the ship's engines"
- [verb] direct or command as an officer
adjutant, aide, aide-de-camp
- army officer
- brass hat
- chief of staff
commanding officer, commandant, commander
- commissioned officer
- desk officer
- executive officer
- inspector general
military adviser, military advisor
- naval officer
noncommissioned officer, noncom
- warrant officer
- probation officer
sergeant at arms, serjeant-at-arms
bull, cop, copper, fuzz, pig
captain, police captain, police chief
constable, police constable
detective, investigator, tec, police detective
motorcycle cop, motorcycle policeman, speed cop
police matron, policewoman
- traffic cop
trooper, state trooper
master, captain, sea captain, skipper
mate, first mate
sailing master, navigator