- [noun] a worker who holds or is invested with an office
- [noun] someone who administers the rules of a game or sport; "the golfer asked for an official who could give him a ruling"
- [adjective] having official authority or sanction; "official permission"; "an official representative"
- [adjective] of or relating to an office; "official privileges"
- [adjective] verified officially; "the election returns are now official"
- [adjective] conforming to set usage, procedure, or discipline; "in prescribed order"
- [adjective] (of a church) given official status as a national or state institution
bureaucrat, administrative official
census taker, enumerator
- church officer
- city father
- civil servant
commissar, political commissar
- Comptroller General
- Comptroller of the Currency
- elected official
- fire marshall
fire warden, forest fire fighter, ranger
hearing examiner, hearing officer
invalidator, voider, nullifier
judge, justice, jurist, magistrate
macebearer, mace, macer
notary, notary public
agent, federal agent
- postmaster general
prosecutor, public prosecutor, prosecuting officer, prosecuting attorney
registrar, record-keeper, recorder
- returning officer
teller, vote counter
- town clerk
- football official