- [adverb] with a forward motion; "we drove along admiring the view"; "the horse trotted along at a steady pace"; "the circus traveled on to the next city"; "move along"; "march on"
- [adverb] indicates continuity or persistence or concentration; "his spirit lives on"; "shall I read on?"
- [adverb] in a state required for something to function or be effective; "turn the lights on"; "get a load on"
- [adjective] in operation or operational; "left the oven on"; "the switch is in the on position"
- [adjective] (of events) planned or scheduled; "the picnic is on, rain or shine"; "we have nothing on for Friday night"
- [adjective] performing or scheduled for duties; "I'm on from five to midnight"; "Naval personnel on duty in Alaska"; "her on-duty hours were 11p.m. to 7 a.m."
Synonyms: duty, -duty