- [noun] a manually operated device to correct the operation of an automatic device
- [noun] the act of nullifying; making null and void; counteracting or overriding the effect or force of something
- [verb] rule against; "The Republicans were overruled when the House voted on the bill"
Synonyms: overrule, overturn, overthrow, reverse
- [verb] prevail over; "health considerations override financial concerns"
- [verb] counteract the normal operation of (an automatic gear shift in a vehicle)
- [verb] ride (a horse) too hard