- [noun] someone who helps to open up a new line of research or technology or art
Synonyms: innovator, trailblazer, groundbreaker
- [noun] one the first colonists or settler in a new territory; "they went west as pioneers with only the possessions they could carry with them"
- [verb] open up an area or prepare a way; "She pioneered a graduate program for women students"
Synonyms: open up
- [verb] take the lead or initiative in; participate in the development of; "This South African surgeon pioneered heart transplants"
- [verb] open up and explore a new area; "pioneer space"
- strike up
trip, actuate, trigger, activate, set off, spark off, spark, trigger off, touch off
establish, found, plant, constitute, institute
stage, bring about, arrange
undertake, set about, attempt
organize, organise, prepare, devise, get up, machinate
frontiersman, backwoodsman, mountain man
Bowie, Jim Bowie, James Bowie
Chapman, John Chapman, Johnny Appleseed