- [noun] the property of sound that varies with variation in the frequency of vibration
- [noun] (baseball) the throwing of a baseball by a pitcher to a batter
- [noun] a vendor's position (especially on the sidewalk); "he was employed to see that his paper's news pitches were not trespassed upon by rival vendors"
- [noun] promotion by means of an argument and demonstration
Synonyms: sales talk, sales
- [noun] degree of deviation from a horizontal plane; "the roof had a steep pitch"
Synonyms: rake, slant
- [noun] any of various dark heavy viscid substances obtained as a residue
- [noun] a high approach shot in golf
- [noun] an all-fours game in which the first card led is a trump
- [noun] abrupt up-and-down motion (as caused by a ship or other conveyance); "the pitching and tossing was quite exciting"
Synonyms: lurch, ing
- [noun] the action or manner of throwing something; "his pitch fell short and his hat landed on the floor"
- [verb] throw or toss with a light motion; "flip me the beachball"; "toss me newspaper"
Synonyms: flip, toss, sky
- [verb] move abruptly; "The ship suddenly lurched to the left"
Synonyms: lurch, shift
- [verb] fall or plunge forward; "She pitched over the railing of the balcony"
- [verb] set to a certain pitch; "He pitched his voice very low"
- [verb] sell or offer for sale from place to place
Synonyms: peddle, monger, huckster, hawk, vend
- [verb] be at an angle; "The terrain sloped down"
Synonyms: slope, incline
- [verb] heel over; "The tower is tilting"; "The ceiling is slanting"
Synonyms: cant, cant over, tilt, slant
- [verb] erect and fasten; "pitch a tent"
Synonyms: set up
- [verb] throw or hurl from the mound to the batter, as in baseball; "The pitcher delivered the ball"
- [verb] hit (a golf ball) in a high arc with a backspin
- [verb] lead (a card) and establish the trump suit
- [verb] set the level or character of; "She pitched her speech to the teenagers in the audience"
throw back, toss back
camp, camp down
concert pitch, philharmonic pitch, international pitch
high pitch, high frequency
low pitch, low frequency
change-up, change-of-pace, change-of-pace ball, off-speed pitch
curve, curve ball, breaking ball, bender
fastball, heater, smoke, hummer, bullet
- passed ball
submarine ball, submarine pitch
- wild pitch
- coal tar
rock, careen, sway, tilt