- [noun] an aircraft that has a fixed wing and is powered by propellers or jets; "the flight was delayed due to trouble with the airplane"
- [noun] (mathematics) an unbounded two-dimensional shape; "we will refer to the plane of the graph as the X-Y plane"; "any line joining two points on a plane lies wholly on that plane"
- [noun] a level of existence or development; "he lived on a worldly plane"
- [noun] a power tool for smoothing or shaping wood
Synonyms: planing machine
- [noun] a carpenter's hand tool with an adjustable blade for smoothing or shaping wood; "the cabinetmaker used a plane for the finish work"
Synonyms: carpenter's woodworking
- [verb] cut or remove with or as if with a plane; "The machine shaved off fine layers from the piece of wood"
- [verb] travel on the surface of water
- [verb] make even or smooth, with or as with a carpenter's plane; "plane the top of the door"
- [adjective] having a horizontal surface in which no part is higher or lower than another; "a flat desk"; "acres of level farmland"; "a plane surface"
Synonyms: flat, level
amphibian, amphibious aircraft
fighter, fighter aircraft, attack aircraft
- hangar queen
jet, jet plane, jet-propelled plane
multiengine airplane, multiengine plane
- propeller plane
- reconnaissance plane
- tanker plane
- cartesian plane
- facet plane
- orbital plane
- picture plane
- tangent plane
- beading plane
- block plane
bullnose, bullnosed plane
- chamfer plane
circular plane, compass plane
- combination plane
- dovetail plane
- fore plane
- jack plane
jointer, jointer plane, jointing plane, long plane
match plane, tonguing and grooving plane
openside plane, rabbet plane
- router plane
- scrub plane
smooth plane, smoothing plane