- [noun] a verbal commitment by one person to another agreeing to do (or not to do) something in the future
- [noun] grounds for feeling hopeful about the future; "there is little or no promise that he will recover"
- [verb] make a promise or commitment
- [verb] promise to undertake or give; "I promise you my best effort"
- [verb] make a prediction about; tell in advance; "Call the outcome of an election"
Synonyms: predict, foretell, prognosticate, call, forebode, anticipate
- [verb] give grounds for expectations; "The new results were promising"; "The results promised fame and glory"
- swear off
parole, word, word of honor
betrothal, troth, engagement
- rain check