- [noun] the backward jerk of a gun when it is fired
- [noun] a movement back from an impact
Synonyms: repercussion, rebound, backlash
- [verb] draw back, as with fear or pain; "she flinched when they showed the slaughtering of the calf"
Synonyms: flinch, squinch, funk, cringe, shrink, wince, quail
- [verb] spring back; spring away from an impact; "The rubber ball bounced"; "These particles do not resile but they unite after they collide"
Synonyms: bounce, resile, take a hop, spring, bound, rebound, reverberate, ricochet
- [verb] spring back, as from a forceful thrust; "The gun kicked back into my shoulder"
Synonyms: kick back, kick