- [noun] an authoritative rule
- [noun] a principle or condition that customarily governs behavior; "it was his rule to take a walk before breakfast"; "short haircuts were the regulation"
- [noun] the state of being controlled or governed
- [noun] (embryology) the ability of an early embryo to continue normal development after its structure has been somehow damaged or altered
- [noun] the act of bringing to uniformity; making regular
Synonyms: regularization, regularisation
- [noun] the act of controlling or directing according to rule; "fiscal regulations are in the hands of politicians"
- [adjective] prescribed by or according to regulation; "regulation army equipment"