- [noun] a strip of pleated material used as a decoration or a trim
Synonyms: frill, flounce, furbelow
- [noun] a high tight collar
Synonyms: choker, ruff, neck ruff
- [noun] a noisy fight
Synonyms: affray, disturbance, fray
- [verb] stir up (water) so as to form ripples
Synonyms: ripple, riffle, cockle, undulate
- [verb] trouble or vex; "ruffle somebody's composure"
- [verb] to walk with a lofty proud gait, often in an attempt to impress others; "He struts around like a rooster in a hen house"
Synonyms: swagger, prance, strut, sashay, cock
- [verb] discompose; "This play is going to ruffle some people"; "She has a way of ruffling feathers among her colleagues"
- [verb] twitch or flutter; "the paper flicked"
Synonyms: flick, riffle
- [verb] mix so as to make a random order or arrangement; "shuffle the cards"
Synonyms: shuffle, mix
- [verb] erect or fluff up; "the bird ruffled its feathers"
- [verb] disturb the smoothness of; "ruffle the surface of the water"
Synonyms: up, rumple, mess up
- [verb] pleat or gather into a ruffle; "ruffle the curtain fabric"