- [noun] a large piece of fabric (as canvas) by means of which wind is used to propel a sailing vessel
Synonyms: canvas, canvass, sheet
- [noun] an ocean trip taken for pleasure
- [verb] traverse or travel by ship on (a body of water); "We sailed the Atlantic"; "He sailed the Pacific all alone"
- [verb] move with sweeping, effortless, gliding motions; "The diva swept into the room"; "Shreds of paper sailed through the air"; "The searchlights swept across the sky"
- [verb] travel in a boat propelled by wind; "I love sailing, especially on the open sea"
- [verb] travel by boat on a boat propelled by wind or by other means; "The QE2 will sail to Southampton tomorrow"
Synonyms: voyage, navigate