- [noun] formal and explicit approval; "a Democrat usually gets the union's endorsement"
Synonyms: countenance, endorsement, indorsement, warrant, imprimatur
- [noun] a mechanism of social control for enforcing a society's standards
- [noun] official permission or approval; "authority for the program was renewed several times"
Synonyms: authority, authorization, authorisation
- [noun] the act of final authorization; "it had the sanction of the church"
- [verb] give sanction to; "I approve of his educational policies"
Synonyms: approve, O.K., okay
- [verb] give authority or permission to
- [verb] give religious sanction to, such as through on oath; "sanctify the marriage"