- [noun] a whip used to inflict punishment (often used for pedantic humor)
- [noun] something causes misery or death; "the bane of my life"
Synonyms: bane, curse, nemesis
- [noun] a person who inspires fear or dread; "he was the terror of the neighborhood"
Synonyms: terror, threat
- [verb] punish severely; excoriate
- [verb] whip; "The religious fanatics flagellated themselves"
- [verb] devastate or ravage; "The enemy lay waste to the countryside after the invasion"
Synonyms: lay waste to, waste, devastate, desolate, ravage