- [noun] a harsh noise made by scraping; "the scrape of violin bows distracted her"
Synonyms: scraping, scratch, scratching
- [noun] an abraded area where the skin is torn or worn off
Synonyms: abrasion, scratch, excoriation
- [noun] a deep bow with the foot drawn backwards (indicating excessive humility); "all that bowing and scraping did not impress him"
- [noun] an indication of damage
Synonyms: scratch, scar, mark
- [verb] scratch repeatedly; "The cat scraped at the armchair"
- [verb] make by scraping; "They scraped a letter into the stone"
- [verb] cut the surface of; wear away the surface of
Synonyms: scratch, scratch up
- [verb] bend the knees and bow in a servile manner
Synonyms: kowtow, genuflect
- [verb] gather (money or other resources) together over time; "She had scraped together enough money for college"
Synonyms: up, come up
- [verb] bruise, cut, or injure the skin or the surface of; "The boy skinned his knee when he fell"
- [verb] strike against an object; "She stubbed her one's toe in the dark and now it's broken"
Synonyms: stub, skin, abrade