- [noun] work done by one person or group that benefits another; "budget separately for goods and services"
- [noun] a company or agency that performs a public service; subject to government regulation
- [noun] the act of public worship following prescribed rules; "the Sunday service"
Synonyms: religious divine
- [noun] an act of help or assistance; "he did them a service"
- [noun] employment in or work for another; "he retired after 30 years of service"
- [noun] a force that is a branch of the armed forces
Synonyms: military armed
- [noun] the performance of duties by a waiter or servant; "that restaurant has excellent service"
- [noun] periodic maintenance on a car or machine; "it was time for an overhaul on the tractor"
Synonyms: overhaul, inspection and repair
- [noun] tableware consisting of a complete set of articles (silver or dishware) for use at table
- [noun] (sports) a stroke that puts the ball in play; "his powerful serves won the game"
- [noun] the act of delivering a writ or summons upon someone; "he accepted service of the subpoena"
Synonyms: serving, of process
- [noun] Canadian writer (born in England) who wrote about life in the Yukon Territory (1874-1958)
Synonyms: Service, Robert William Service
- [noun] a means of serving; "of no avail"; "there's no help for it"
Synonyms: avail, help
- [noun] the act of mating by male animals; "the bull was worth good money in servicing fees"
- [noun] (law) the acts performed by an English feudal tenant for the benefit of his lord which formed the consideration for the property granted to him
- [verb] be used by; as of a utility; "The sewage plant served the neighboring communities"; "The garage served to shelter his horses"
- [verb] make fit for use; "service my truck"; "the washing machine needs to be serviced"
- [verb] mate with; "male animals serve the females for breeding purposes"
- consulting service
- national service
utility, public utility, public-service corporation
church service, church
prayer meeting, prayer service
chapel service, chapel
- committal service
- watch night
childcare, child care
- community service
community service, public service
help desk, helpdesk
army, regular army, ground forces
navy, naval forces
air force, airforce
- curb service
- interim overhaul
dinner service, dinner set
place setting, setting
let, net ball
- military service
- knight's service